How To Apply

If your child attends St Michael’s Church of England High School, you will need to apply to Sandwell Council.

Where To Get An Application Form

Visit the Sandwell Council website using the image below and use the online application form.


In order to be eligible to receive/claim free school meals you must be receiving one of the following:


  • Income Support
  • Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018, your household income must be less than £7,400 a year as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods (after tax and not including any benefits you get). Your net earned income is your household income after taxes and deductions and does not include income from Universal Credit or any other benefits you may receive. 
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit (including Child Tax Credit)
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • support from the National Asylum Support Service

You are not eligible if you receive any amount of Working Tax Credit.

Free Meals

For those students entitled to Free School Meals, their ParentPay account will be loaded daily with the amount of a meal deal – currently, this is £2.20. This amount can only be used to purchase food at lunchtime. If you want your child to have snacks at break time, please load money onto your ParentPay account.